Monday, June 8, 2009

Art Appreciation

CLICK HERE TO BID
I think it's interesting what our society tells our children about the arts. We want them involved in art as children. Parents give children dance lessons, art lessons, drama lessons, piano lessons, and violin. We seem to be saying that this is important and fun stuff .... but only stuff for children.
I look around all the houses I go in during my life. Almost.... almost nobody has any original art on the walls. I'm in my 40's and I've only known about 5 people who have original art and of those 5 only one bought the painting at a gallery. The statistics for U.S. citizens is this: 5% of the population has ever been in an art gallery. 5% of the population supports real working artists. Europeans are way better. I'm unsure the exact % but I believe it's more like 30% of the population buying art from galleries. What is wrong with our education system in that it doesn't develope appreciation for the arts? We painters, poets, dancers, potters, scultors, writers want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment