Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Hello Art Enthusiasts,
I thought I'd talk briefly about the making of art. The idea to create something must come from the mind of the artist. It can be accomplished from thought, vision, a combination of the two, or by experimentation and thought. An artist can seek to do any of these things to any degree they like. For instance a super realist works by copying a photograph as accurately as possible. They are a vision painter 100%. A realist may typically achieve 80-90% reality or verisimilitude to a photo or setup. They are not as tied to reality, but use thier mind to differentiate the gap. Painters like Miro, Klee, and Shagall are using the mind (thought) 100% to create their work. They typically don't refer to anything but paint from memory. Jackson Pollock went with experimentation and thought as his muse. He just jumped in with something and played upon his results with inner thoughts. Many an abstract artist starts this way. They lay something down and then that leads them to do something else. Their mind guides them buy often there is little if any planning. Each method gives a certain "rush" to the brain of the artist. They get a certain thrill, a boost of adrenalin and a release of dopamine. One is thrilled because they made something match reality as closely as possible and the other is just thrilled that the black dribble made a really interesting splatter on the yellow paint. Art is never boring for the artist.
The painting at the top of this post just sold on Ebay. The painting on the bottom is currently up for auction. I painted both on location and primarily did them from vision. I've painted at the "yellow" farm several times. Sometimes I've given the windows shutters. Sometimes not. I've always added flowers that weren't there. On a larger version I put fresh flowers in the planters. I really like the color yellow. I really enjoy inventing the paintings entirely and have often just made stuff up. The work usually ends up looking very "real" yet often I have made the entire thing up. I'm probably happiest when painting from my mind and less so when I copy nature or a photo. As they say, "To each, their own."



No comments:

Post a Comment